Monday, January 25, 2010

The World's Most Liveable City

I recently had the opportunity to fly through Vancouver Interantional Airport - YVR. I was really in awe of the grand, modern and beautiful airport. It's high tech, sparkling clean and that is contrasted by huge displays of native Canadian Art in some cases hanging three stories tall. It got me thinking about the Best Places to Live in the World, which I have been blogging about for the past few weeks. This got me setting a new goal, once I finish my top 10 list of course, and that is to begin exploring the Best Cities in the World. Which then reminded me of something I had read about a few months ago.

I read that The Economist voted the City of Vancouver - in beautiful British Columbia Canada - the most Liveable City on the planet. What a perfect place to start! My home country of Canada was ranked 9th on the Best Places to Live - 2010 Quality of Life Index - so perhaps Vancouver is one of the Best Cities to Live in Canada? Some certainly think so.

Now 'The Economist' is not another one of those travel or touching feeling editorial magazines. It bases it's judgements on solid research, facts with weights and measures of what truly is 'liveable'. They look seriously at the standards of health care, culture, environment and infrastructure to name a few. On my brief stop in the city I could see why Vancouver one top spot 7 times!

The Times says, "Vancouver is the city that has it all!" Some even claim it has the Best Chinese Food in the World!

Of course many will have the opportunity to rate Vancouver for themselves either by visiting or watching closely on TV as the city hosts the 2010 Winter Olympics.

No comments: