Friday, April 8, 2011

Best places to live 2011 - Canada

Rediscovering Yahoo! News

I love Google. I use all things Google from Gmail to Google Docs and my home page is iGoogle so sometimes I forget about those other wonderful sources of information - like Yahoo! and Bing, to name just two. Today I had one of those intuitive notions to surf over to Yahoo! and check out what was in the news. Much to my surprise, not really (I've grown to appreciate and trust this intuitive insights), they had some really cool articles about the best places to live.

Here's what I found:

Canada's Best Places to Live 2011

Yup, right on topic and just the kind of info I'm always looking for. Of course you known I'm Canadian and my home land holds a special place in my heart, just like most people. I've boasted about Vancouver, British Columbia being named the World's Most Liveable City, for two years in a row I might add. Curiously it doesn't make the MoneySense Top 10 list. And I've looked at some of the different sides, spaces and places this vast country has to offer including some of the cheapest places to live in America - North America that is.

Now this list by MoneySense is pretty current and as is typical quite well researched. They looked at every Canadian community that had more than 10,000 people living there which totally 180 and then rank ordered the whole list based on 20 categories to determine which places were the best to live in Canada. Things like house affordability, income, employment, crime and weather were just a few of the considerations.

As the authors pointed out, 'No Place is Perfect' and so no place got a perfect score. Additionally the premise of the study was not to be the definitive guide but to create a "fact-based comparison for people to make their own decisions about where they would like to live." And without further ado here are the...

10 Best Places to Live in Canada for 2011

  1. Ottawa-Gatineau, Ontario: The nations Capital earns top spot for the second year in a row.
  2. Victoria, British Columbia
  3. Burlington, Ontario
  4. Kingston, Ontario
  5. St. Albert, Alberta
  6. Fredericton, New Brunswick
  7. Brandon, Manitoba
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
  9. Repentigny, Quebec
  10. Winnipeg, Manitoba
And here's a little vid on Canada's Best Place to Live - Ottawa


Post Script - If you're curious about how things have changed since 2010 you can always look back on the MoneySense list of Canada's Best Places to Live in 2010. As always in Canada, there are few surprises or dramatic changes!


Over the coming weeks I'll spend a little time going more in depth in a profile of each of these wonderful Canadian communities.





Source: Canada's best places to live 2011

2 comments:

patricat said...

My top favorite is British Columbia. From the ecological point of view, Canada scores high in the international rankings. Still it is interesting to consider differences between particular regions in the statistics of air pollution - with Sarnia, Ontario ´leading´ and British Columbia being the most pollution-free.

patricat said...

My top favorite is British Columbia. From the ecological point of view, Canada scores high in the international rankings. Still it is interesting to consider differences between particular regions in the statistics of air pollution - with Sarnia, Ontario ´leading´ and British Columbia being the most pollution-free.